Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Don't Panic!


Last night was another session of the Mobile Police Department's citizen's academy. (I did not try to drown myself with a water bottle this week!) We learned about the various precincts, different areas within the department, saw video from a dashboard camera of a pursuit that ended in a shoot out (The officer involved was uninjured and the two car thieves were arrested.), and saw some of the cool toys Mobile PD uses, including Segways and the ultra coolest, Sky Watch. (Right: example of a Sky Watch mobile observation tower.)

We also signed up for "ride alongs" with patrol officers. I chose to ride with someone from the precinct in which I live and to report for morning roll call in order to get the "full experience." The patrol officers work in 12-hours shifts. I'm going to attempt to stay for the entire shift. I don't know if I'll make it the full 12-hours, but I'm going to try. The "ride along" is scheduled for Friday...chosen because Mark will be working from home that day and my day of editing BLOOD LAW would be somewhat disrupted anyway. Plus, I'd rather sleep in on Saturday.

Speaking of BLOOD LAW, if you have already pre-ordered through Amazon.com (Thank you, thank you, thank you!!), you probably received an email stating the release date has changed from May 25, 2010, to June 22, 2010. Don't panic! This isn't really a "delay" so much as a "correction." Dell, my publisher, has said from day one that I was scheduled for a June 2010 release. This was not unexpected. All you have to do is follow the instructions in Amazon's email to accept the changed date. (And, please, do so before the deadline listed in the email, otherwise, I believe your order will be cancelled!)

Bouchercon 2009 is only a few weeks away! My schedule is rapidly filling up with all the requests for lunch, coffee, drinks, and dinner. (Sorry, folks, but Friday, October 16 is booked solid, including lunch with Ms. Editor and Ms. Publisher, and the Random House cocktail party.) When, why, and how did I become...popular? It amazes me. I'm just a geeky gal from the Mississippi backwoods, never "popular" or "cool" in high school, and now...suddenly...people know my name and want to hang out with me. It's all very surreal to me.

While on the subject of surreal, I've confirmed my attendance to the RT Booklovers Convention in Columbus, OH -- April 28-May 2, 2010. This is the first confirmed conference appearance for next year -- and my first RT Convention, period. I've heard wild stories. Don't know if I'm ready for this or not, but I'll be there. Other appearances are in the works and I'll keep everyone posted as news becomes available.

One tiny final conference-related bit of trivia here... One of Mark's (former) co-workers, Mike, (Hey, dude! *waves*) recently moved to San Diego, CA. Mike has been a great and early supporter for BLOOD LAW and I made a deal with him. If he can provide 100 people to show up for a book signing at the Random House booth, I would attend San Diego Comic Con next year. Mike's response: "I can do this." So...now comes the question, "Can he do this?" If memory serves me correctly, I believe the last count for BLOOD LAW attendees stood at 7. Will he make it? Will I attend SDCC? *looks at calendar* Hmm...I don't know...only time will tell...

Of course, all these appearances hinge on BLOOD LAW's release. To that end, I should probably get back to work. So....

TTFN

No comments: